[ale] [OT] how do I monitor the "weather" in my computer room

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed May 29 20:11:27 EDT 2013

Why bother measuring the temperature of the room?  Measure temperatures of
the machine if you're concerned about it overheating.  If you want to
measure air temperature coming into the machine, there's an article here on
using a $15 USB thermometer to measure air temperature:
https://grepular.com/Using_Linux_to_Monitor_Room_Temperature_Remotely_and_Cheaply

BTW, your thermometers actually seem to be quite good.  +/- 1 deg F is very
reasonable for measuring room temperature -- in fact, I would be shocked if
there was less than 1 degree of variance in the temperature throughout the
room.  In the room where my always-on computer is, the variance is about 8
degrees from one area to another, so unless the thermometer is placed very
carefully, 1 degree is insignificant.  What would be more interesting is if
a given thermometer is stable, or tends to have readings that float around.

David Tomaschik