[ale] RFID Systems

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed May 22 00:31:17 EDT 2013

The RasPi probably has enough hamsters to pull off a small application
like this and it would be easy to power from vehicle power (12V-5V
switchmode DC/DC converter).  Doesn't have to be too complicated but
there are also plenty of 12V direct SBCs around with options like
MiniPCI and the like.  Anything running some form of Linux should allow
you to set up a wireless interface as an AP so that it can service
anyone around the vehicle (assuming the wifi dongle can be put into AP
mode so just pick one that can).

In order to do multiple tags at once you must get a reader and set of
tags that adhere to the anti-collision standards (ISO 18593 and ISO
14430 are a start but there's now several ways).  I hadn't looked into
multiple tag readers when I was trying to set up the inventory because
the physical chemical handling protocol doesn't allow for more than one
bottle to be in motion at any time (safety and insurance against
dropping a bottle if you try to juggle more than one).  However, for
most of the readers, it should be specified how many simultaneous tags
can be in the field without having trouble.  There's some smarts that
need to go with the process and that's typically part of a reader system
rather than the chip.  The system is what you're going to want so that
all it spits out on the wire is a list of tag IDs (you don't want to
have to code for anti-collision yourself).

The thing to look for in multi-tag devices is an inventory class reader.
  Those are the ones that will invariably have the anti-collision
features.  I did a quick search and found a couple.  One is an ultra
fancy unit[1] from Intermec that bolts to a vehicle, the other is a
Bluetooth wand that can handle 350 tags per minute[2].

[1]http://www.intermec.com/products/rfid2_iv7/index.aspx
[2]http://www.tagsysrfid.com/Products-Services/RFID-Stations/HHU-400-Inventory-Reader

There are certainly many other options, just look for an inventory class
reader or anything specifying anti-collision features (tags per minute,
etc.)  If you want to go with the doorway idea, you want what's known as
a portal (not portable) reader.  These bolt over doorways, loading
docks, etc. and read from far away as tags pass by.  The antennas are
typically larger to get more gain for longer range.  Most of them are
panels of appropriate size (depends on the tag frequency).  UHF tags
(800-900 MHz) can use portal antennas that are only about a foot square
while the HF tags (100kHz-20MHz) need large loop antennas about the size
of the anti-theft antennas in stores.