[ale] emulating a pi?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sat May 18 11:39:01 EDT 2013

On 05/18/2013 11:32 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> This may sound like an odd question, but I'm wondering if you can emulate a raspberry pi.  At the moment, I just want to learn how the software side of things works.  I don't have a need for the hardware at the moment, and buying the pi and power supply and case and memory card and usb hub and wifi dongle, etc. would probably cost me over $ 100.  I know I can run any standard programming language like python or c on my linux or windows computer, but I'm also wondering if I can do things like emulating the scratch language and emulating things like the the gpio ports and lights on the computer screen.

I am unaware of an rpi-specific emulator, but you can emulate something
very close to it with QEMU's ARM emulation.

It would be hypothetically possible to extend QEMU with a profile for
the RPi, but then how are you going to truly emulate the pins?  You have
to write emulators for the devices that you're attaching to the pins,
too, or shunt those emulated pins to something like pins on a
USB-connected device to work with them in the meatspace.  Doing it that
way would likely suck, though, due to various issues, including timing
issues.

Buy the device for $35, use an existing SD card, plug it into a cell
phone charger for any cell phone made in the past 12-18 months or so,
connect it to your TV, et voilà.  Costs you $35 + shipping.

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (888) 494-5810 x130