[ale] FW: SUSE Linux Days 2013 kicks off this May!

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed May 15 16:43:38 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I certainly didn't mean to suggest it was overpriced--just that it's way out of our price range. It's also clearly overkill for what we need. I guess I am interested in it more for the "learning how to make it all work" part than as a way to saving me time. We use Citrix XenServer (free) and it more than more than meets our needs for now, but I may still play with the OpenSUSE cloud stuff for the 60 day free period. I may also have a go at the raw OpenStack stuff. I'm not so scared of 782 config parameters assuming they have reasonable defaults. Then again, it may be a complete nightmare.

So much interesting stuff to learn, and so little time!

One of the main speakers said a few times, "Linux is free so long as your time is worth nothing." I thought that was a bit odd for someone from a major Linux vendor to say (especially more than once). Anyway, I see the point, but I don't think it's always true: sometimes the time you spend is more than made up for by the value of the knowledge gained, plus you have to compare it to the alternative. Windows and Mac (especially server) admin is not always so obvious and takes time to learn too. Windows seems to love changing which hidden dialog box you need to search out to make things work from version to version. I was also struck by how he on the one hand said how easy their solution was, and on the other highly suggested we pay for a two-week consulting kick-start program to teach us how to set it up and use it! Not that they both can't be true, but it was kinda funny to me.

Scott