[ale] NAS enclosure recommendations?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue May 14 06:34:42 EDT 2013

On 05/13/2013 10:16 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> The Jungledisk client for Amazon S3 supports pre internet encryption.  I use
> a long complex pass phrase, which I store in a secret note in Lastpass.
> Amazon sees nothing but a big blob of noise.  I have Lastpass on every
> system, so, hopefully, there's nothing that will take out all my computers
> and my tablet at once.

Just a thought.

Encrypting anything before storing it online isn't a big deal is it?  Between
openssl and gpg, we KNOW how to take a stream and encrypt it - no special tools
needed. Provided the other tools aren't behemoths and still support stdin/stdout
streaming, of course.  THAT is the Linux way.

No need to ask for a feature to be added to some other tool that says "encrypt."
 It also means that we **KNOW** exactly which encryption is used and don't need
to worry about a bonehead mistake from the tool developer, who almost certainly
is NOT a security expert.

Of course, there are downsides to encrypting blobs, but there are downsides to
encrypting single files too.