[ale] OT: Switch

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri May 10 22:35:39 EDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 07:51 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155392-international-space-station-switches-from-windows-to-linux-for-improved-reliability

The comment section is better than the article. :)

I was hacked once because I was running an upatched version of either
Apache or OpenSSH.  A rootkit was installed.

The other times I was hacked was because I did not change the root
password from password quickly enough during deployment or someone
placed a machine with a weak password on a DMZ without my knowledge.
That only happened maybe three times since 1994 when I started doing this.

During my career I have cleaned up numerous Windows machines of malware,
viruses, etc.  This is a chore I can't stand doing and typically I just
force the user to reload the machine.

 From what I've experienced I prefer running Linux. :)

I'm sure if someone really wanted too they could hack it, but most of
these hackers are too preoccupied with low hanging fruit (Windows).

Chris