[ale] how do I get graphical remote access to my linux machine

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat May 4 01:53:24 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I moved my linux machine downstairs to make room in my work area
upstairs since I don't have room for 2 desktops.  I need to get
graphical remote access to the downstairs linux machine (Mint 13) using
my Windows 7 machine as the client.  The linux machine is within my
firewall at home, so I don't need super strong security.  A simple login
username and password is sufficient.  I tried to get nxserver from
nomachine running.  It's installed, but I couldn't seem to get it
configured using the text based commands to set it up.  I'd like to be
able to do administration of the user database via gui or, better yet,
just have it use the user database already built into Mint.  NX has a
graphical administration option, but it appears to depend on having
apache installed.  I don't want to do that.  The fewer server processes
I have running, the better it is for security.  Both client and server
will be on the same wifi router using wpa encryption.

Can someone tell me an easy way to do this?  I just need one graphical
server and one graphical client.  I'm not stuck on nx if there is a
better solution.  Having the session encrypted would be nice, in case I
decide to access it from outside my house at some point.  In that case,
I'd beef up the login credentials.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron