[ale] [OT] (but computer and cryptography related) Bitcoin, Litecoin

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Mar 30 20:36:48 EDT 2013

On 3/30/2013 17:13, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 03/30/2013 05:51 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> There are many things that could foil my plan.  Congress could make this
>> illegal, or make it too painful to cash out.  Or the currency could
>> fizzle and become worthless.  Who knows.
>
> BitCoin is essentially nothing more than another "foreign" currency.  It
> may not be fiat (established by a law), but it is a currency.  There is
> nothing that I can think of that grants Congress the power to make any
> currency---fiat, mineral-backed, or virtual---illegal.  As I understand
> it, Congress simply doesn't have that authority, and if it attempted to
> do so, it would be very likely to be challenged and overturned in the
> SCOTUS.

This is where things get a little harder.  By US law, anyone
participating in currency exchange within the US must register with and
abide by the rules of the Bank Secrecy Act.  That's how Congress gets
its power.  It's the equivalent of many other financial institutions
requiring licenses to operate within the US.  It has nothing to do with
whether the currency is dollars, gold bullion, or rubber chickens.  The
law (and Congress and the Treasury) latches on the moment you begin a
currency exchange but only a currency exchange.

If you were to agree to accept rubber chickens for installing a PBX then
the BSA/Treasury/Congress has no claim because the rubber chickens are
not being exchanged for regulated currency, they are being exchanged for
goods and services directly.  But if you want US Dollars and I only have
rubber chickens then I have to go exchange my rubber chickens for US
Dollars and, boom, BSA steps in.