[ale] Why should I choose Citrix over Linux Server with M$ virtual server?

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:48:11 EDT 2013

All,

First, the disclaimer: I worked with Citrix before on the 90s but
knows nothing about on how it works.

At my current job, we use WYSE terminals to connect to an Oracle 10g
db running on Unix
Our environment, you guessed, has a Citrix Farm which works well. The
"thing" is that when it does not work so well, we are at the mercy of
the Citrix Guru's, which usually translates into an hour or two of
downtime x 400 people.
Primary issue, load balance. Google has an infinite amount of pages on
the subject and how hard to have it properly configured.
So, here is the question:
Would it be better to have Linux servers with SAMBA doing the AD and
having virtual instances of M$ Servers connecting to it?
I cannot, for the life of me see Citrix having the advantage on a
setup like the one described above.

Can someone put some sense into it :-)

Thanks

Sergio