[ale] researcher's linux worm infects 400 K + devices by TELNET

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 15:41:31 EDT 2013

in short: embeded system MUST be locked down or fully upgradeable.

Basically this guy found a zillion embedded Linux devices and they were all
set up stupidly. Crap like telnet running with a root password of root and
just boneheaded stuff like that.

It's one of the blowbacks from rapid Linux adoption - idiots make devices
with a full OS installed and -WHAM- you've a got a root-bot.

Embedded devices are hard to get really right. Probably impossible to get
totally secure. SCADA security woes are based on a zillion embedded windows
98 and XP devices that run utilities and water treatment plants and
industrial processes. Full of security holes and not fixable without a
hardware refresh (at 4x the cost of the original device).

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain