[ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k boundaries

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Wed Mar 20 15:26:27 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net
> wrote:

> On 3/20/2013 1:43 PM, Chuck Peters wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie at gmail.com
>> <mailto:deritchie at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Repeat after me: Windows XP is an obsolete, unsupported software
>>     system.
>>
>> Technically it is supported until mid April 2014.  That being said I
>> have an nv4_disp BSOD issue with an old Nvidia 5200 card and I am
>> unlikely to see a driver update or MS update to fix it.  Too bad my
>> attempts at converting Mom to Linux failed.
>>

> Before I get booed, I know it's not a windows forum, but helping is always
> good:
>
> Isn't that file replaced/updated with the nvidia drivers?
> The legacy driver package if I remember.  Boot in safe mode,
> remove/uninstall the drivers.  Install fresh driver set, reboot, this used
> to be pretty common problem.
>
> Latest legacy drivers:
> http://www.geforce.com/**drivers/results/5753<http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/5753>

Been there done that, and a bit of searching online shows at least a few
people are having the same issue.  A very similar machine with a 6200 card
recently had a windows update and it works OK, so I suspect it is a known
issue by MS and Nvidia and it won't be fixed.  The machines are dual boot
XP Ubuntu 12.04 and the Ubuntu is stable and plays MythTV fine except for
HD.  I am going to try running the XP without the Nvidia driver and see if
that is reasonably stable.  I just need something stable to run TurboTax
for about 30 days.

These are old P4 2Ghz Dell Optiplex GX260 machines.  Recently I bought a
new PCI Geforce GT 610 card which I was hoping would work for MythTV HD,
but it's not working.  After the post screen I get a blank screen and some
occasional beeping...

Chuck