[ale] Web Socket Implementations

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Mar 20 14:15:55 EDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 01:32 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Your biggest issue with websockets is concurrency. At Cox we use a
> node.js implementation because nothing else comes close to having a
> similar connection capacity with the same hardware resources. We are in
> a unique situation of needing to handle hundreds of thousands of
> concurrent connections.

That's interesting; a well-written implementation in C should always be
able to perform better than anything running under a JIT, with some very
rare exceptions.  I was able to get a JIT VM (Mono) to run code with
runtime that very nearly approached GCC, even surpassing it slightly.[0]

That said, that should be the rare exception; most of the time, C code
runs far faster than a JIT does.

To be fair, I should repeat that testing with a few modern versions of
JIT VMs.

	--- Mike

[0]
http://mike.trausch.us/blog/2008/10/09/sometimes-learning-happens-strangely/