[ale] apt update command on ec2 ubuntu server

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Wed Mar 20 10:58:56 EDT 2013

All,

I use a shell script to update my EC2 Ubuntu servers on Amazon. Here's an
example of the command I use:

> ssh -i /location/of/ec2-keys/xxx.pem user at 000.000.000.000 'sudo aptitude
-y full-upgrade; exit'

This works fine, except sometimes the package presents an info page about
the update, like this one for example:

Get:1 Changelog for perl-base (
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/p/perl/perl_5.14.2-6ubuntu2.3/changelog)
[144 kB]
perl (5.14.2-6ubuntu2.3) precise-security; urgency=low

  * SECURITY UPDATE: algorithmic complexity attack on hash keys
    - debian/patches/CVE-2013-1667.patch: fix hsplit() in hv.c, fix tests
      in ext/Hash-Util-FieldHash/t/10_hash.t, t/op/hash.t.
    - CVE-2013-1667

 -- Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers at ubuntu.com>  Mon, 18 Mar 2013
10:48:33 -0400

/tmp/tmpvTN6IR (END)

If I log into the server then I would simply hit 'q' for the update to
complete. Since the script does not do this, the package does not get
updated and I have to do it manually, which is a pain with several servers.
How can I get my update script to close this text automatically when if and
when it appears with certain packages?

cheers
ed

--
Edward Holcroft
Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not