[ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k boundaries

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Mar 19 11:46:27 EDT 2013

Hi Justin,

I had bet Phil that he couldn't get XP running on a 4 K sector drive,
under certain criteria.  He accepted the bet and eventually won it.  He
can fill in the details.  At this point, I have not personally ran XP
with a 4K sector drive.  I pulled out some links which may help you.

At the very least, you probably need sata drivers updated as of mid
2010, ahci mode on mb, and xp sp 3 with latest patches.  Even if the
unit boots, I wouldn't trust it without testing it for a while,
including updates.  My Win 7 machine looked like it was working for a
while then I started getting data corruption.  I jumped through all
kinds of hoops, but updating the sata driver appears to have been the
ultimate fix.

This is my message which started the thread, and which describes my
initially failed attempt to get my Win 7 running on a 4 K sector drive.

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139605.html

A comment by Phil re XP

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139638.html

A response to a comment by me regarding XP patch support ending

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139648.html

The imfamous bet

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139662.html

He takes me up on it

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139663.html

I clarify the conditions

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139667.html

Phil further clarifies and accepts

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139676.html

Note that the hard drive he used has Seagate's SmartAllign technology
which reduces migration problems.  This may be a feature you want to
look for.
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/barracuda-green/

Background data from MS regarding 4K drives and Win XP.

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139785.html

10 steps you need to consider when converting to a 4K drive.

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139797.html

Phil describes how he won.

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139881.html

I had to concede

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139885.html

That should give you lots of good information to think about.

Also, here is some info on SSD's that I posted previously that you might
find interesting.

Thread from Sept 2012 on SSD remaining lifetime indicator

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2012-September/137821.html

SSD Info you need to know thread

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2012-September/137831.html

Some of the sources for my original post

      http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2012-September/137874.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 3/19/2013 9:02 AM, Justin Goldberg wrote:

> What was the resolution? Does XP not like 4k drives? I'm thinking of
> getting a larger drive for my laptop and switching to ssd in the
> process, which is very likely to be manufactured post 2011.
>
> On Jan 18, 2013 9:36 AM, "Phil Turmel" <philip at turmel.org
> <mailto:philip at turmel.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/17/2013 11:11 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>     > Hi Phil,
>     >
>     > It was good to meet you tonight.  Sorry I couldn't hang around
>     longer.
>     >
>     > What enjoyable beverage (or food) did you get with your winnings?
>
>     The Tommy Knocker ale.  Thank you. :-)
>
>     > Jim, enjoyed the presentation tonight.
>
>     I, too.  Thanks, Jim.
>
>     Phil

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.