[ale] Web Socket Implementations

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Mar 18 19:59:08 EDT 2013

Some developers at a company I work with were trying to use the implementation in Tomcat 7, but their production servers are sitting behind Apache httpd and using AJP to connect to the Tomcat instances. AJP apparently doesn't support websockets, and it would be non-trivial to make it support it. (At least, according to random people on the web!) I realize this isn't really an answer to your question ;-) but I thought you'd be interested. Also, I see the Tomcat implementation is missing from the wiki page.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/web-socket-howto.html

Also note that JSR-356 is going to standardize the API for websockets in Java. If you're developing more than some basic prototypes, you may want to hold off a bit until the standard is close to being finalized, or use an implementation that's evolving with the standard. tyrus.java.net is the reference implementation. I attended a talk on websockets at DevNexus last month, and the slides are here:

http://www.slideshare.net/hillert/devnexus-2013-introduction-to-websockets

I don't know how much you can glean from them without the audio, but he discussed Atmosphere , netty.io vertx.io , Grizzly , as well as the jWebSockets you're already looking at. He was a SpringSource guy and so he also talked a lot about the Spring 4.0 WebSocket support, which will follow JSR-356. It looked pretty good, but of course demos usually do.

Scott