[ale] Good Linux laptops

Dow Hurst dphurst at uncg.edu
Tue Mar 12 18:34:28 EDT 2013

Doug,
I'm thrilled with my Dell XPS M1530.  It's getting a bit long in the tooth,
but has:

1920x1200 LCD
8GB RAM
Core 2 Duo T9300 at 2.5GHz
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT
DVD RW
320GB HD
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG
10/100MB NIC (not Gigabit, so weak point)
Webcam/Mic works well with Skype.
Keyboard is nicest I've ever used.
HDMI and sound works with dual monitor setup if needed.
VGA works with dual monitor setup if needed.
Ubuntu 8.04 came pre-installed from Dell but it's got 10.04 right now.
All the special sound and media buttons work in Ubuntu.
Had 2 years warranty, but that is long gone!

I really hated to see this model disappear from Dell.  Dell's Linux support
has gone down the tubes now for what I need.  I haven't found anything new
nearly as nice as this laptop in a 15" format.  A refurbished model would
still be very attractive to me now based on how it's worked out.  I did
raise the laptop with some stick on feet from Home Depot.  They raise the
laptop up by a 1/4" so there is more airflow.  Have had absolutely no
problems with this laptop ever.

Sincerely,
Dow
Dow Hurst, Research Scientist
340 Sullivan Science Bldg., Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170