[ale] Business idea (wuz: Security Licensing, Languages, and that business thing we talked about)

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 13:14:50 EDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 11:15 AM, Mike Harrison wrote:
>> I am in the process of getting feedback from SCORE before committing
>> what few $$ I have available. While I'm sure the business idea and
>> model are viable, it remains to be seen if I can make it work.
>
> Just had to chime in: I have now built and sold (years later, for real
> money) 3 businesses that SCORE and the local business development
> assistance groups told me were bad ideas and impossible to realize.
>
> I'm going for #4.. :)
>
> The SCORE and Gov-ish biz-dev crowd are excellent connections, and offer
> good general business  advice, but I contend that they can not judge
> a technology business...

It's probably up to the individual. Of course, since SCORE.org's e-mail
capability was down yesterday, and the local office doesn't seem to
answer the phone, I'm inclined to agree with you more and more.

However, I know the business idea will work because I've been doing it
for others for years. What I need from them is help on the business side
doing with with others and for paying customers.

Also, one of my recurring plugs for free on-line education: "Startup
Engineering".  https://www.coursera.org/course/startup

Leam