[ale] take a trip through your process list - hot pc

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Mar 11 22:22:14 EDT 2013

Hi Wolf,

I subscribe to xmarks premium to sync my bookmarks across all devices
including android.  I had data corruption once using the FF sync.
Xmarks seems very reliable.  Lastpass now owns xmarks, and I subscribe
to their premium service too to make my passwords accessible across all
devices.

I've put the brakes on FF memory hogging by using the Memory Fox
plugin.  See the last post I made about FF cpu usage for info on that.
It continuously cleans the FF memory footprint.  I currently have 6
browsers and about 80 tabs open.  FF memory usage starts at about 50 MB
and slowly climbs to about 430 MB.  I've never understood why.  Then,
Memory Fox takes out the trash and it drops back to 50 MB again.  This
happens continuously, but CPU usage is minimal (except the anomaly from
the other thread) and the maximum memory used before garbage collection
is tolerable considering how many tabs I have open.  I no longer worry
about leaving all these tabs open for days at a time.

By the way, Tree Style Tab is a fantastic addon that allows you to put
all those tabs in a vertical column on the side of the screen.  It works
so much better than horizontal tabs.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/?src=search

Sincerely,

Ron

On 3/11/2013 9:20 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:

> 16GB RAM on win7 and 25 tabs open.firefox is a ramhog. I am leaning
> toward chrome. need to test head to head. 4GB RAM and ubuntu studio,
> firefox still a ramhog. Firefox shockwave/ flash bot working. Chrome
> on same machine and flash works.
> If chrome had sync like firefox, I would have switched over already.
>
> Wolf
>
> Wolf Halton
> http://sourcefreedom.com
> Apache develope
>
>     My current desktop is ram limited and I run firefox with a zillion
>     tabs in a million windows. It will eat up the ram then happily
>     punt out to swap. Page not touched in 3 hours may take 2 secs to
>     reload but that's OK with me.
>
>     Get's fun when something crashes firefox and it reload all the
>     windows and tabs :-) First time I've been on a desktop class
>     system instead of a server class system as a desktop.
>
>     On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
>     <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
>     <mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I just picked up my laptop running Windows 7 and Firefox plus
>         about 70 open tabs.  This applies to Linux too.  The bottom of
>         the unit was so hot that it was uncomfortable to touch.  The
>         fan was running furiously.  The first thing I thought was
>         ventilation.  The unit had been sitting on some loose papers,
>         so that might have had an effect.  I have speedfan running to
>         monitor temperature.  It's norm is 62 C and it was up to 75 C.
>          I removed all the loose papers.  Then, I looked at the cpu
>         meter.  It was pegged at around 70%, and Firefox was the main
>         culprit.  Probably flash.  I closed Firefox.  The cpu was
>         still sitting around 15 % with nothing happening.  I loaded
>         msconfig to see what was starting up.  On Linux, you could use
>         top, htop, or system monitor.  However, those only tell you
>         what's running, not what's in the startup sequence, as far as
>         I know.  I found a number of things in the startup sequence
>         that I didn't want there, like a Citrix app for the once in a
>         year time that my wife uses my computer, adobe reader
>         quickstart, something related to cyberlink dvd programs, a
>         daemon for updating the firmware in my Sansa mp3 player (which
>         I've done exactly once and will probably never repeat), and
>         several items from the manufacturer of the pc, etc.  I don't
>         think anything is malicious, but, they're sitting there using
>         cpu time and electricity and creating heat.  I hid all the
>         microsoft stuff in the list, then unchecked all the processes
>         AND SERVICES that I didn't think need to be starting.  Be
>         careful though.  You can break critical parts of your system,
>         like updates, or sound, or your touchpad.  I rebooted and my
>         idle cpu usage dropped to 1 % - 2 %.  Now that's more like it.
>
>         So, the moral of the story is that it pays to look at your
>         process list occasionally and trim the fat.  The other moral
> [...]

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com