[ale] ff cpu usage jumps to 50% with all tabs minimized

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Mar 11 21:12:49 EDT 2013

On 3/11/2013 6:13 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> On 3/11/2013 13:26, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been experiencing a strange problem and I thought I'd mention it
>> since others might be seeing it.  I'm using Firefox in Windows 7.  This
>> may apply to Linux too, but I don't know for sure.  I have 6 FF windows
>> open and maybe 80 tabs total.  When I MINIMIZE all the FF windows, the
>> cpu usage on my Pentium dual core system jumps to 55% or so and stays
>> there.  As soon as I display one of the FF windows, it goes back down to
>> its normal idle of around 10%.  Just a few minutes ago, I restarted FF
>> and allowed it to update from version 19.0 to 19.0.2.  This MAY have
>> solved the problem.  I haven't seen the CPU staying way up high since
>> then.  I'll follow up if I see it again, but I just wanted to see if
>> anyone else had noticed this.
>>

> I believe it's a garbage collection/cache issue.  FF attempts to cache
> anything not visible to reduce its footprint in active memory (a
> frequent complaint that it leaks).  When you minimized everything, you
> probably saw the system dumping to cache and also running the GC
> procedure.  It would have relinquished CPU eventually.
>
> It's had a long history of memory leaks especially in the graphics and
> also in active pages (AJAX) but for some reason no one can or will fix
> it so it continues to leaks.  I've taken to sequestering heavy AJAX
> pages in Chrome instead and leaving FF to handle normal sites.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for that.  It's good to have some idea what's going on.  With the
latest version of firefox, I haven't seen this behavior in the few hours
since I first wrote this message.

By the way, I became aware of the memory leak problem about a year ago.
As far as I know, I've fixed that with the memoryfox plugin.  You can
check it out here if you like.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/memory-fox/?src=search
https://idevfh.com/how-to-use-memory-fox/
https://idevfh.com/current-memory-fox/