[ale] selective DNS server for DHCP clients?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Mar 8 11:14:08 EST 2013

On 3/6/2013 19:27, Pete Hardie wrote:
> A followup, for those interested in the results
>
> I think that I have found a working configuration.  I currently have dhcpd
> running, supplying a few fixed IPs for my DVRs, and pointing them at my
> WIRNS server for replacement guide data, and I was able to set up another
> MAC-specific stanza to point
> my Nook to use my desktop as its DNS, which is handled by dnsmasq.  I set
> up dnsmasq to map reddit.com to 127.0.0.1 and it appears to do what I want
> - fail to load that site.
>
> I could use dnsmasq to supply the DHCP, and may switch to that once I feel
> that everything else is working totally to my satisfaction
>
> Thanks again to all for the suggestions and war stories about blocking your
> kids' access!

Switching to dnsmasq will make a lot of stuff easier for you in the end.
  You can still map IP to MACs so DHCP assignments end up being static.
  You can also send all of the optional DHCP assignments to different
clients on a per client basis (using packet tagging) which means you can
do things like auto-configure proxy services via the DHCP options
headers.  Plus it's only one program to maintain instead of two. :)