[ale] SATA PCI card or external USB enclosures?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Mar 4 15:53:03 EST 2013

On 3/4/2013 12:45, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

> Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/4/2013 3:04 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>> I don't have any experience with PCI cards for this.  For enclosures,
>>> like the Vantec brand.  Quality seems to be good.  Some of them have
>>> fans for cooling.
>>>
>>> Ron

>> enclosure
>> just
>> case
>> +1 for Vantec
>> I have several, all several years old, none have failed to date.
>>

> Another PS.  If you use a sata-usb enclosure, you can connect via usb.  No PCI card needed.

I know, the Bytecc was a combo USB/SATA box.  But I was pondering the
speed boost by going for SATA and moving the drive inside the machine.
I'm still pondering the choice though I may just go with the external
USB for simplicity.  The reason for the PCI card is because I have no
SATA on my system so I would have to add on.