[ale] evernote security breach

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Mar 4 12:38:51 EST 2013

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at WittsEnd.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 09:35 -0500, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> I first saw the link to this article on the dc404 mailing list.  If
>you're an evernote user, you need to know about this.
>
>> http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/2/4056704/evernote-password-reset
>
>If you are an Evernote user, you need to change your password.  The
>attackers had access to user-id's and password hashes.  The passwords
>where hashed and salted but simple passwords are still subject to
>off-line brute force and rainbow table attacks.  Change your password
>a good, high complexity, password or passphrase.

Do you think a 15 character random alphanumeric generated by Lastpass is good enough?  Or, should you go longer if the site will let you?

>MOST IMPORTANT!  This is NOT mentioned in the article quoted, but...
>If
>you used the same user id (E-Mail address) or similar and the same
>password on other sites, change all of them and use different passwords
>on each.  It is not uncommon for someone to use the same password and
>id
>on different sites.  It is equally not uncommon for attackers to KNOW
>THIS and, once they break your password on one site, to use a common,
>broken, password to attack other sites.  That includes sites with other
>common variations on your user id.

I've known this for some time, but only recently went to the trouble to do it, after Linkedin had their break in.  I'm now using Lastpass, which is a good way to keep track of many different passwords for different sites.  (I know there are other solutions too.)  It was a major pain to go to every site I had and go through the password change procedure, especially because, for the ones that were already different, I had to look them up.  However, every one is now different and random.  Every time I generate a new password for a new site, or change one on an old site, I let Lastpass handle it.  The password vault is secured by a master password that you don't give out online.  If anyone is interested, I can post my recommended settings for Lastpass preferences.  You can use the service for free on PC's, but have to pay a modest fee for Premium service to use on mobile devices.  I pay the fee, and am glad to support their continued development.