[ale] Knoppix on USB drive

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Mar 2 09:30:33 EST 2013

This is more of and advisory message than a question.  I recently found
my laptop drive had more recovered errors than I liked and since it's an
IDE drive, I figured that I might not be able to replace it in the
future since IDE drives are somewhat scarce these days.  So I bought a
larger IDE drive, did a disk to disk copy and installed it.  I booted a
gparted CD and it X wouldn't start.  I've had trouble with this Radeon
chipset before so wasn't surprised.

I downloaded the latest Knoppix and created a USB drive.  It booted and
X and ran fine, however gparted wouldn't come up.  It complained about a
disk having a head size <=63 and aborts while looking at the USB drive,
I guess.

I burned a CD and it worked fine.

Later I've found if you run gparted from the command line with the
device(s) as an argument(s), you can restrict it to those devices, but I
didn't know that at the time.

Jim.