[ale] sudo reboot now - harmful??

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Jun 29 11:23:48 EDT 2013

Hi all,

My Mint machine occasionally gets unresponsive in the GUI (Mate
(Gnome2)) such that I cannot log into the system and check it's status.
The screen saver goes away when I hit a key, the Mint screen appears,
but no login window is visible.  I'm running the gpu's very hard doing
computations.  In that case, I hit ctrl-alt-f1, login, and do sudo
reboot now.  The system starts the reboot sequence VERY fast, within a
couple of seconds.

So, the question is, is that harmful?  Is the file system dismounted
properly?  Are programs shut down orderly?  The programs I'm running are
network based, so they don't have to save files.  The only files being
operated on normally are the temperature log file, and that gets
recreated every 15 seconds.

When I rebooted, the system complained about errors on / and asked if I
wanted to fix them.  I said yes.  Then it complained about /tmp not
being there or not mounted.  I waited a few seconds and that went away.
I'm not sure if it defaulted to one of the options on the screen or just
did nothing.  Then the system rebooted and everything appears normal.

I should note that we had an unplanned power failure last night due to a
thunderstorm.  I rebooted the machine then and it looked fine.  I found
out this morning that the last time the temperature log file updated was
around 7:30 AM.  I'm not too worried about the GUI locking up,
considering what I'm doing with the gpu's.  However, I am wondering if
my force reboot technique is causing a problem.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron