[ale] Long lag for command line

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Jun 28 19:47:50 EDT 2013

On 6/28/2013 16:44, JD wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 06:56 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> Anyone ever experience long lags for simple things at the command line?  Right
>> now I've got a Debian system that had been working fine but for some reason now
>> it takes it a few seconds to do something simple like open vi or cat a file --
>> not even big files, just a few kilobytes or less.  The load average is 1.5 but
>> top doesn't show anything really hitting the CPU.  No cron jobs running at the
>> time, the machine is mostly quiet.  It just handles a few internal activities
>> for me (internal web server, place to compile little things, etc).
>

> Shot in the dark, but could there be conflicting bash-completion settings?
> Anything funny in the logs?

I don't think so because it's happening even without using
auto-complete.  For example, just at a simple terminal, I type "vi" and
hit enter.  After about 10 or 15 seconds, vi finally shows up.  So I'm
highly confused about what's going on.  Same thing for something like
"ls", the actual directory listing shows up after about ten seconds and
that's with a nearly empty directory (maybe 20 files total).  It's
behaving like it's having to think about every command or send the
command halfway around the globe to be processed.