[ale] [OffTopic] LOPSA Atlanta Chapter

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Jun 27 15:58:46 EDT 2013

I’d argue that AUUG is unlike ALE in that most of the people in AUUG ARE (or have been) professional System Administrators.   ALE seems to have quite a few hobbyists or folks that use Linux for small things but not for Enterprise and general business purposes.   Questions about enterprise/professional Linux configurations often go unanswered here whereas questions about the latest GUI for Ubuntu will fill volumes.

On the other hand many of the discussions at AUUG are actually about Linux but aimed more at its use in business.

The question is what does “professional” membership get you.   I doubt employers care about it as much as they do about “professional” certifications and even the latter in my experience are viewed more as “nice to have” than “must have” for “professional” System Administrators.