[ale] OT Fwd: Dc404-Chat New smart locks for your home

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jun 20 12:50:48 EDT 2013

On 6/20/2013 10:49 AM, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Thursday 20 June 2013, Alex Carver wrote:
>
>> Ok, then use the bright light to illuminate the card from the edge.  If
>> you get the light just right you should see a square dimple in the back
>> of the card where the pocket for the chip is located.  On my card,
>> looking at the back of the card with the mag stripe on top, it is
>> located just 5mm (to the center of the dimple) below the bottom edge of
>> the mag stripe and 10 mm in from the right edge.  A bright light shining
>> across the card (the way you might shine light across a floor to look
>> for a lost screw or other tiny part) should highlight the dimple.
>>
> Bingo! Barley detectable 'pad' about 5mm square. Confirmed on the sacrificial
> card - metallic foil and has the 2mm chip with in.
>
> On a Chase Slate it is above the mag stripe and the curved "Blink" symbol
> points almost directly at it.

I'm interested to know if that card had any writing, symbols, or legend
on it to indicate that you can use it wirelessly.  What's the point of
putting it in there if you don't notify the customer that he / she can
use it that way?

I used one of those 1,000,000 candle power hand held spotlights like you
get at a tool or auto store to look through my cards.  The trick is to
hold the card in such a way so you don't blind yourself in the process.
I don't think any of them have the rf circuitry.  If they do, and I
haven't been informed by the bank, I will be rather annoyed.

I thought about getting a cheap rfid reader from amazon to tinker with
and test the cards.  5 minutes of searching revealed a large enough
disparity of pricing and technology that I gave up on that for the moment.

The following google search yields a large number of results that could
be interesting.  Haven't had time to sort through them.

(destroy OR disable OR deactivate) rfid credit card

Sincerely,

Ron