[ale] OT Fwd: Dc404-Chat New smart locks for your home

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Jun 20 10:22:52 EDT 2013

On 6/20/2013 06:14, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 June 2013, Alex Carver wrote:
>> It really depends where the antenna coil was located.  On my AmEx card,
>> the coil passes under the magstripe.  The easiest thing to do if you
>> want to disable the RFID permanently is to use a very bright light to
>> find the actual chip (it's about 2mm on a side) and then use a sharp
>> nail and hammer to strike the center of the chip.  You don't need to
>> punch through the card in this case, just a very hard impact will
>> shatter the silicon and the RFID portion is dead.
>
> Dark colored Chase Slate and I can not see anything with an incandescent or
> even direct sunlight.
>
> Just cut an almost identical RFID card they sent me two or three years ago.
> Had the same expiration date as the existing non RFID card so I never
> activated it.
>
> http://alt-config.net/CC.jpg
>
> As you can see the copper coils are just under the magnetic strip and just
> above the signature bar. Would have done no good to punch a corner as I
> suggested up thread. Will continue to search for the chip...

Ok, then use the bright light to illuminate the card from the edge.  If
you get the light just right you should see a square dimple in the back
of the card where the pocket for the chip is located.  On my card,
looking at the back of the card with the mag stripe on top, it is
located just 5mm (to the center of the dimple) below the bottom edge of
the mag stripe and 10 mm in from the right edge.  A bright light shining
across the card (the way you might shine light across a floor to look
for a lost screw or other tiny part) should highlight the dimple.