[ale] Linux in 1 GB RAM

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jun 18 13:58:48 EDT 2013

I have had ubuntu 11.04 with gnome 2 running on an old pentium 4 2.4 ghz single core 1gb ram laptop for a while.  It runs decently, but not brilliantly.  It's a little sluggish starting apps, not so bad once they're running for basic tasks.  For things like running video, 1/4 screen window of youtube is ok.  Full screen works the system a bit too hard and you get stuttering.  Firefox (with, say 1 - 3 tabs) and Libre Office and email are all usable.  You definitely want a swap partition or swap file with that limited amount of ram.  Mint 13 (LTS and based on Ubuntu 12.04) + Mate would be a modern equivalent.  I'm not going to bother to upgrade that pc.  This setup might be a little constrained by those system limits, but it would work even better with a lighter weight desktop environment.  I wouldn't recommend running more than 2 - 3 of apps at a time though.

Sincerely,

Ron