[ale] Some interesting web statistics

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 13:51:39 EDT 2013

Hi,

I run a small website for a couple of friends. Looking at the statistics
for the site I noticed the following for June:

Windows (all versions)	68.2% (42% of the total traffic XP)
Linux (unknow distro)		23.4%

The two most popular browsers:
MSIE 6.0	30.2% (All MSIE combined 45.1% of the total traffic)
Opera		30.0%

For some odd reason this English langauge site is popular in Eastern
Europe. Scratches head.

What struck me, in this less than scientific sample, was the extremely
high percentage of Linux users visiting the site, almost a quarter. In the
press typically states that Linux adoption is about 1 - 2% of all users.
So I would have guessed about max of 5 - 6% for Linux on any given month.
Previous months have been about 20% Linux. The high percentage of XP is
much less surprising to me since this site is likely to be viewed by
casual surfers not businesses. Also, there is no reported W7 or W8 traffic.

Also, the browser distribution does not square with the usual claims of
browser usage with Opera being ~ 2% and MSIE dominated by 8 and 9. Also,
only about 2/3 of all Windows users are using any version of MSIE. The
Opera usage jumped from minimal to about 20% + in January.

I know there is a push in many countries to replace all versions of
Windows with Linux across the board. Does anyone know what Linux iniatives
are going in Eastern Europe or Europe?

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com