[ale] OT- Sorta:Lightworks video editor: Another missing piece for Linux

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Sat Jun 15 11:16:52 EDT 2013

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> Do any Linux video editors  support .EDL, Zoomplayer cutlists, VideoRedo
> cutlist or a plain CSV cutlist?
> That is the only reason I don't use Linux for my video editing needs.
> Basically, it comes down to commercial removal capabilities.

Cinelerra had/has support for EDL, as does Blender (in a rough kind of way). I
used to be really excited about Lightworks, but they've been dangling the open
source carrot in front of us for nearly two years... and still no code, not
even a hint at the license they'll choose.

Lightworks is an incredibly powerful NLE and I'm happy that they've been
working on a Linux release... but they seem to have a fundamental
misunderstanding about what it means to be open source. They should have just
said they were working on a free(-ish) release for Linux. Then I'd still be
somewhat excited without the feeling that I've been played yet again by a
company abusing the term open source.