[ale] OT: check light diagnostic tool

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jun 12 10:50:11 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 09:48 -0400, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Looking for recommendations. Can one be purchased locally?

You're wasting more time asking on this list than it would take to get
one from Amazon.  With expedited shipping, you could have one tomorrow.

An OBD / OBD2 bluetooth interface can be had for under $25 on Amazon (I
have two) and then you can use aCar or a similar app on a smartphone to
access your car's computer.  It will tell you everything available from
your car and even look up diagnostic codes in its database and tell you
what they mean.  It will even let you reset that check light.  I think
you still have to drive a certain number of miles, after resetting a
check light, before you can run an emissions test though, if that's the
reason for your request.

Here's one for less than $12...

http://www.amazon.com/Soliport-Bluetooth-OBDII-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B004KL0I9I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371048296&sr=8-3&keywords=obd2

I won't vouch for it, though.  Many are based on the same ODB2 interface
chip but some (one of my two) don't remember a pairing across power
resets.  I leave mine plugged into the car at all times and I can pull
up aCar on my smartphone in an instant for "heads up" gauges on things
like vacuum and performance.  Geek on wheels...

> --
> From my iPhone
> Geoffrey Myers

Regards,