[ale] heads up - warning - you could be sharing comcast wifi without knowing it

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Wed Jun 12 08:55:08 EDT 2013

<snip>
Don't see how it would be against the law.  They're going to replace a
device they own connected to a service they own with another device
they own connected to a service they own?

This may be true, but I certainly felt my discomfort level rise when I saw
this article. Not so much on the threat level, but more on the "Comcast are
cheeky bastards" level. They may own the device and the service, but they
do not own my house nor my electrical supply. The way Comcast nickels and
dimes one, I'd want to return the favor and charge them an exorbitant
rental for housing and powering their public wifi device on private
property. I could throw in (without even asking them if they want it) an
unexpected $3.95 monthly fee for preventative dusting of the device "to
ensure maximum operating efficiency". Or how about a fee to ensure that
their public wifi device is not tampered with, since they are now
effectively regarding people's homes as public spaces, and you know,
anything can go wrong in a public space.

Actually, now that I think about it, to heck with them on this one. I'd
share my wifi with the neighbors for free, but as long as it's Comcast, or
any private company behind it, they can forget about profiting with my
cooperation. I'm sure this list can come up with multiple ways to make this
atrocious idea fail.

ed

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM, David Tomaschik
<david at systemoverlord.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
> <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I thought you'd like to know about this.  I heard the host on the Tech
> News
> > Today podcast ( http://twit.tv/tnt ) say something similar to the
> following:
> > Comcast will be expanding its wifi network by putting wifi gateways in
> > Xfinity users homes. ... Comcast users will get free access. ... Guests
> get
> > two free accesses. ... If you don't want to participate, you have to opt
> > out.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Supposedly, they replace your cable modem with this new wifi gateway
> device.
> > It broadcasts two wifi signals.  You log into one of them and use YOUR
> > service as normal.  Guests login into the other, for free if they are
> > Comcast Xfinity customers, and get two free accesses if they're not
> Xfinity
> > customers.  SUPPOSEDLY, the 2nd connection is independent of the main
> one,
> > and it doesn't reduce your bandwidth.  Yeah, I believe that.  The
> APPARENT
> > plan is to replace all the gateways and enable this internet sharing
> without
> > the customer's knowledge.  That's got to be against the law somehow.
>
> Don't see how it would be against the law.  They're going to replace a
> device they own connected to a service they own with another device
> they own connected to a service they own?
>
> > Now, I know some people willingly share their wifi.  I'm not one of
> them.  I
> > have my wfi encrypted with long ugly passwords.  There are 3 main
> reasons.
> > 1) Any other user on my modem is a potential security risk.
>
> I don't know how they have implemented this, but it would be trivial
> to assign a 2nd public IP (or even NAT through a single
> neighborhood-wifi-network IP) for the 2nd hotspot and route all
> traffic over that.  In that case, a user connected to that has the
> same amount of access as anyone else on the internet.
>
> > 2) It does
> > reduce my bandwidth and performance.
>
> Citation needed.  The biggest limitation to your bandwidth is the
> traffic shaping comcast performs at their head end unit.  If the
> "public" hotspot is shaped separately, then I don't see how it would
> impact your bandwidth.  *Maybe* you could make an argument regarding
> wifi interference, but a 2nd hotspot on your device won't be any
> different from a 2nd device somewhere nearby.
>
> > 3)  If someone else does something
> > illegal while connected to your wifi, the police can ( and HAVE ) showed
> up
> > at your door and arrest you.  You then have to prove you didn't do it and
> > it's a royal mess.

> [...]

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW | Norcross, GA 30071
O (770) 446-9606 | M (678) 587-8649

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not