[ale] what should I do when resizing ext4 partition

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 10:01:52 EDT 2013

Ron,

I would do as Derek said, just do a mkswap, I have done on systems
where I dropped the old swap and created a new one that was a bit
bigger.

Just make do the following

swapoff

del or resize the old swap

mkswap /dev/partition of the swap

swapon

Update fstab if you delete it and created a new one.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> "Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> writes:
>
>> On the Linux side of the fence, the boot loader was indeed broken.  I
>> used the Ubuntu boot repair disc which rebuilt grub for me.  Mint then
>> booted fine, but the swap partition was not active according to system
>> monitor.  I used gparted to delete and recreate the swap partition,
>> then rebooted.  The swap was still not active.  I looked at the
>> /etc/fstab file and found in the comments that you can use blkid to
>> read the UUID of each partition.  I also found that the UUID was wrong
>> for both the / partition and the swap.  I'm not sure how the system
>> booted in this case, but I'm not complaining.  I changed the UUID for
>> both entries in the fstab file to the correct number for the / and
>> swap partitions respectively and rebooted again.  This time, the swap
>> partition was working.
>
> Ah, most likely the was Acronis did it was to actually mkfs new
> filesystems on the new drive, which generated new UUIDs, instead of
> doing a 'dd' and then fs-resize.  That would explain the UUID changes.
>
> As for the swap, depending on what acronis did you might just need to
> "mkswap" to re-initialize the swap partition.  You shouldn't need to
> erase and recreate the partition..
>
> -derek

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org