[ale] what should I do when resizing ext4 partition

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 17:49:14 EDT 2013

Questioin, are you running LVM? I am just wondering as I never heard
that you could resize a partition unless it was a LVM. Please let me
know.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 06/10/2013 02:38 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a machine which dual boots windows and mint.  The 500 gb hdd is mbr with 4 primary partitions, ntfs windows, ext4 mint, linux swap, and ntfs data.  I'm cloning the drive to a 1 tb wd drive with WD Acronis true image.  This will automatically proportionally resize the partitions to the larger size.  I know what to do with windows to make sure it's compatible after I reboot on the new drive.  However, is there anything I should do with mint to make sure it boots properly and doesn't damage the mint os  or other parts of the drive?  As far as I can tell, the swap file will not be changed.  As far as I can tell, the partition order will remain the same, but the boundaries will change.  When I'm done, I'll check it to make sure everything is on 1 MB boundaries, but the WD Acronis program should do that automatically.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>
> I'm hardly an expert on Windows re-partitioning, but with the new-fangled HDDs,
> you definitely want to use Gparted or parted (not fdisk or similar tools) to
> created all the new partitions so they are aligned properly.  With AF drives,
> you want to be on 4K boundaries, I think. google will answer better.  OTOH, if
> you use gparted or parted, the alignment you "want" happens automatically.
>
> I'd use dd to clone partitions between 2 HDDs. If there is any issue with the
> source, then I'd use ddrescue.
>
> I've resized running ext4 partitions using resize2fs.  Don't remember anything
> special about using it and haven't had any issues in the years since the
> resizing and I've resized about 5 times across different machines.  Of course,
> there was space available after the old size partition to expand into.  Use
> gparted otherwise - if you need to move partitions around. I keep a gparted
> bootable-USB drive ready for just this reason.
>
> IME, Linux is not nearly as picky as Windows about booting.  I've restored
> backups to clean HDDs, then ran grub-install to setup the booting slices.
> Sometimes I like to have 6-10 bootable partitions on "play" machines.
> Boot-repair is a nifty tool that will locate bootable partitions on all
> installed drives. It finds Windows partitions too.
>
> Anyway, I hope this helps.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org