[ale] [ANNC] ALE-NW - Meeting 2nd Thursday of the Month - that's next week!

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jun 6 16:15:05 EDT 2013

> As for parsing, that's what gawk/grep/Perl/PHP/YourFavoriteScriptingLanguage is
> for.  Put your commands into a script, pipe each command output through one of
> the parsers and save to file.

I know that we've tried to have beginning scripting talks at ALE-NW, but perhaps
those were too advanced?

Good News!
We do not have a specific agenda for the meeting next Thursday, so perhaps a
hands-on scripting session would be best?

Bring your Linux laptop and we will help you to get a few simple scripts working
on it.  YOU will do the work and gain the experience.  Nothing too fancy. Purely
at the 101 level.   You will need to open a terminal, but not need any other
knowledge after that.

Sometimes it feels like we/I gloss over some important things that aren't simple
if you haven't done it yourself before. "Write a simple script" is one of those
things we gloss over, perhaps too much?

Other topic options are:
* Show and tell? Bring your cool Linux device and show them off.
* Pair up with a mentor and learn whatever you can?
* Slides of network equipment from Nepal and Cape Town LUG members.

Or we could do something completely different ... this will be a very informal
meeting 100% driven by the audience that evening.  Clearly, if we don't have the
expertise you need, we won't be able to do anything more than show how we'd
google for solutions.  That is a good skill to cultivate too.

It would be helpful if folks could provide feedback on this idea BEFORE the
meeting so we have an idea of attendance and topics. If I don't hear anything at
all either on the list or privately, , we may cancel the meeting. There will be
an announcement if it is canceled the day before.

Otherwise, we will be in room J266 at 7:30p as usual.

-jd