[ale] custom kernel

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Mon Jun 3 11:43:11 EDT 2013

On 06/03/2013 10:30 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Just general question. When was the last time you build custom kernel.
> Mine was several years ago trying to build and compile driver for
> exotic usb wireless chipset ( now is in the main tree ). I'm thinking
> of compiling one just to see my level of success today.

I follow the stable vanilla kernels on gentoo, so I'm compiling a new
one every week or two.

I also compile some of Linus' release candidates to try on my laptop,
but I don't usually stay on them.  (I have real work to do, and my
laptop needs to stay runnable.)

If you want a quick start, boot recent liveCD that works with all of
your hardware, then zcat its /proc/config.gz to your kernel source tree
as ".config".  Will save you a great deal of effort for your first try.

Phil