[ale] WAY OT controlling asian tiger mosquitos and others

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Jul 31 21:27:30 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a followup.

The "racket" works GOOOD.  I was outside working on an old Mercedes
300sd that I have.  I knew the bugs would attack, so I took the
"racket".  Every time I detected something buzzing around, I'd push the
switch and wave the thing around in front of me.  Even if I couldn't see
the bug, many times, the racket would find it.  I'd know that happened
when I'd hear a LOUD pop, like those snap-n-pops the kids throw on the
ground.  Well, maybe not quite that loud.  The first time, it startled
me, since I had the device somewhat near my head anyway.  I don't THINK
any of the critters bit me, and I got at least 8 or so of them.  I was
moving around a bit, so that helped too.

This device may die shortly, or may eat lots of batteries, or whatever.
But, for the moment, I really like it.  I may never use the conventional
fly swatter again unless the bug is too big to fit through the grid on
the zapper.  I will point out that the bug has to fit through the outer
grid, which is about 1/4" and touch the inner grid, which is too small
for almost any flying insect other than a gnat to fit through.  If it
doesn't get pretty close to both grids, it won't get zapped.  It also
means you won't get zapped if you happen to brush up against the outer grid.

Large ants and spiders probably won't get zapped, and if you whack them,
their remains will be on the device.  You cannot get liquid on this to
clean it.  So a fly swatter or bug spray would be better.  So far,
zapped bugs haven't left much residue on the device.  The package says
it kills wasps.  I think their legs would have to go through the mesh.
I don't want to get close enough to a wasp to use either this or a fly
swatter, so, for that, I'd pick bug spray.  I might use a fly swatter if
the wasp is stationary.

Sincerely,

Ron