[ale] OT security now 414 podcast discusses nsa spying, pretty good info

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jul 25 20:45:37 EDT 2013

Hi all,

The Security Now episode 414 was released recently.  They have been
discussing the NSA spying for some time and continue this in this
episode.  Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte relayed a number of news items
from various news sources.  I don't necessarily agree with everything
they say, particularly if it's political.  However, they share a good
bit of useful information, and some speculation, and I think it's worth
a listen.  They talk about the apparent effort by the government to get
major corporations like google and microsoft to turn over their master
ssl keys, as well as relay some interesting commentary that was blogged
by Bruce Schnier (spelling?) on the effect of all this on our culture
and rights.

http://twit.tv/show/security-now/414

The low bandwidth version and transcript should be available soon at

https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

If you know you don't like Steve, for whatever reason, don't listen.  If
you've never listened to at least 10 podcasts, try it and see what you
think.  Older ones may be better in terms of the amount of technical
"beef".  All I know is that they've shared a great deal of info over the
last 8 years and 414 podcasts that I find useful.  As my Dad used to
say, eat the chicken, throw away the bones.  Keep in mind that the show
isn't, and never has been designed to enlighten security professionals
primarily.  It's designed to take info from security professionals and
knowledgeable journalistic sources, distill it for technical lay people,
and pass it along.

Sincerely,

Ron