[ale] USB wifi recommendation

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Jul 25 12:37:35 EDT 2013

On 7/25/2013 07:28, Pete Hardie wrote:
> The cable might work - I have not tried to access apps while plugged into
> my linux system.  But the wifi hotspot thing is just my pet project - I
> like the subversive
> feel of it

I used to do this frequently using a Meraki Mini flashed with OpenWRT.
You can configure the wireless interface to have two virtual interfaces,
one in AP mode and one in station mode.  Station mode connects to the
hotel wifi, the AP side then supplies a private connection to as many
devices as you want.  NAT bridges the two virtual interfaces.  It was
very slow, though.

Now I've been using it as a high power range extender instead.  Plug
laptop into ethernet jack on the Meraki, attach a 20 dBi gain panel
antenna to the antenna jack (instead of the mini whip) and aim at the
nearest available free wifi (McD's, Starbucks, Pilot truck stops).
Works great from a range of 500-1000 feet. :)  But I have several
Merakis so I can plug a second one into the first and have the local AP
for inside the hotel (or car when the antenna gets roof mounted).  Less
configuration hassle.