[ale] USB wifi recommendation

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Jul 24 23:52:40 EDT 2013

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at WittsEnd.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 19:39 -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> I built a Mint 13 machine (based on Ubuntu 12.04) recently. The guys
>> at micro center recommended the asus usb-n10 wireless-n150 adapter.
>> It's been working fine on wifi G. I haven't tried it on wifi N. I
>> haven't tried the one you mentioned.
>
>Is it both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?  There are a lot of the adapters out there
>that claim to be "N" but only on 2.4GHz.  Particularly the smaller,
>cheaper, devices.  Even the Nexus 7 table is that way.  No support for
>the 5GHz band but still claims to support N.
>
>> Sincerely,
>
>> Ron
>
>Regards,
>Mike

Hi Mike W,

I looked up this document:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_N

According to that, 5 GHz capability is not required according to the standard.  I think you have to look for something that says dual band.  According to the packaging on the particular product I mentioned, which operates up to 150 Mbps, it does NOT support 5 GHz.  However, their N600, N750, and N900 products DO support 5 GHz.  Since higher bandwidths require merging channels, it may be hard to find the available channels to merge in many locations.  Of course, you almost never find an internet connection that gets anywhere near these max speeds.

I hate the way these companies label things.  I couldn't find those products on their website, but I did find the following two items.  These are physically NOTHING like the 1" micro dongle that I described.  But they do support 5 GHz.

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBN53
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBN66/

HTH

Sincerely,