[ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED bulbs

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Tue Jul 23 23:58:57 EDT 2013

[trim /]

On 07/23/2013 07:11 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> I was tempted, years ago, to put "fin stock" tubing up in the attic (you
> buy it in Canada from Home Depot up there for distributed hot water
> heating systems - it's radiator tubing with fins) to act as a heat
> exchanger (reverse of a heater - blow air over it and warm the water)
> and warm our pool.  But our pool is already hitting the 90's in the
> summer when the attic is the hottest.  Where do I dump the EXCESS heat?
> I'd have steam coming on the pool in July and August.  Another idea
> bites the dust...

Try a fountain.  Think "cooling tower".  Put a three-way valve on the
pool's recirc pump outlet.  Use a thermostat to divert the recirc to
*spray* into the pool when the water is too hot.

Yes, you'll need to make up what evaporates.  But that evaporation will
cool the pool.  Industrial cooling towers can typically achieve
~75-degree outlet temperatures in 100-degree weather.

Phil