[ale] Amazon Prime on Linux

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jul 22 20:25:21 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 05:39 PM, Chad Huneycutt wrote:
> I think Amazon implemented DRM on their videos several months ago, which might
> be biting you.  My searches seem to indicate you can't make it work in Linux
> currently.

There are 2 people on this list who claim to have it working in the last week.
They run Mint13 and OpenSUSE.  Nobody else has admitted to using XBMC with XBMC.
I've been unable to get it working on Ubuntu 12.04 systems either.

Just loaded Mint-13 with XBMC.  Pushing my .files over there now. Should know if
XBMC under Mint works or not in the next hour.

While I'm waiting, tried firefox, flash and Amazon Prime.  Wow. It worked.
Nothing special in the setup - just a normal install, but Mint does add plugins
that other distros will not.

* Firefox
* flash + about 10 diff video plugins by default - didn't add anything (purged
Realplayer)
* NoScript
* AdBlock Plus
Still worked.  There was an issue with a lower-than-wanted screen resolution and
slow flash performance, but xrandr and binary video drivers will fix that later.

Many of the freecable and other bluecoat plugins are failing - just like on
Ubuntu.  The Crackle xbmc plugin is working, so that is a step up. Possibilities.

xbmc/mint13 works better except for except Amazon.  Arrrrggggggg!  Didn't
troubleshoot anything at all. Might be easy to correct or even just to pass a
parameter out to firefox for full screen playback. I dunno.

This was just a quick trial on a Core i5 box. Need to take the real XBMC machine
out-of-service long enough to load Mint13.  As folks at the June ALE-NW saw, I
pre-partitioned some spare 10G partitions for exactly this need. ;)