[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 18:38:22 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com>wrote:

> If you started your motion first, and I was already stopped, then I have
> (legally) yielded right-of-way (and honestly, in that situation, I would
> have to be broken down to do so—I only yield when the law mandates I do
> so).  If you then begin movement, while I am stopped, and then I commence
> movement, then I have the citation, not yourself.

Nope. If cars A and B both stop and B has a flashing yellow that A can't
see AND A arrives at the intersection a second before B does and then
starts to enter, then if B, with the flashing yellow, then starts and hits
A, A is at fault. A did not have the right of way even if there was no way
to determine it. It's hole in the process. Essentially, A is required to
sit waiting for B to go until the heat death of the universe. Flashing red
means you can't go as long as there is anyone wanting to enter from the
flashing yellow side. So B can legally hit A on purpose.

That's why the GT study suggested the default failure mode for ALL lights
should be all flashing red except under extremely narrow cases like 6 lane
road vs. parking lot exit.
James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.