[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:14:03 EDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:52:11 -0400, Katherine Villyard
<villyard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Brian MacLeod <nym.bnm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also don't care for those folks who've got a flashing yellow and
>> treat it as a stop, because invariably they end up causing cross
>> traffic to proceed (they now think the light is flashing red 4 way
>> stop), and the person traveling opposite in the opposite lane suddenly
>> has to lock up.  Granted they shouldn't have been traveling so fast as
>> to make that a chore, but...
>
> This is actually my pet peeve.  Invariably, when I proceed into the
> intersection without stopping--because you're not supposed to, you're
> supposed to slow down and proceed with caution--people honk in
> outrage.  I don't CARE that lack of knowledge of the traffic laws
> means they've agreed to pretend it's a four way stop.  It's not, and
> I'm not going to conform to their peer pressure and pretend it is.
>
> Katherine

Given that many cops do not know the traffic law why would any expect the
average person to know them.

I have gotten tickets and threaten with tickets for obeying the traffic
law as a bicycle commuter. It is interesting to find out the Solicitors
also do not the traffic law. Pleading not guilty is a real shock to
Traffic Court. Note: I do not jump traffic or run red lights on a bicycle;
both are first class ways to commit suicide.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com