[ale] Thread safe coding, Java or C

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sat Jul 20 11:02:17 EDT 2013

On 07/20/2013 10:38 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> One developer is a seasoned Java programmer, the other a seasoned C programmer.

That being the case, you might want to focus on your application's use
of memory...  I found the following article generally useful in spite of
its target audience (android, iOS):

http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/

You have to do all your own memory management in C, but in doing so, you
are avoiding all of the disruptions of garbage collection.  But if your
program's data-structures are expected to be long-lived, java won't be
at a disadvantage.

Of course, C++ has many of the object orientation advantages that java
has, but doesn't do garbage collection (natively).  If you want both
programmers to work together and be productive quickly, C++ might be the
best compromise.  The C guy brings manual memory management skills to
the table, while the java guy brings polymorphism and related skills.

HTH,

Phil