[ale] Web based file storage

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Jul 19 13:47:31 EDT 2013

On 7/19/2013 10:27, Mike Harrison wrote:
>> Except that IT declared Webdav a no-go so I can't use it no matter
>> what. :)
>
> It's probably not efficient, and may not be uber-secure, but I use it
> for some limited personal stuff.
>
> I'd be interested in knowing what their rational is, if it's internal
> via a VPN already?

The server would not be accessible from the outside by VPN but from
inside the network there's many thousands of machines that can access it
including some that belong to foreign nationals.  SAMBA is strongly
discouraged (a case can be made on a limited basis but its use is highly
restricted and monitored), WebDAV is out because of security
circumvention, and the published suggestion is sftp/scp using keys.  In
the end that may be the way I have to go and just set everyone up with
Filezilla and a set of keys and then train them on its use.