[ale] trimming messages - was Old host you want to unload?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:25:23 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> I was not aware this was a problem, but I see what you're saying.
>
> PS  Not everyone uses threaded messaging.  I, for one, don't like it.
>  It's good to have some context go along with the replies.
> <snip>

We have a 45k limit set in the mailman server for posts.  a bit of snippage
and a bit of remaining context go a long way. As the prior message is still
intact, it's stil possible to review it if there's not enough context.

Main thing is to kill off 6 layers of top posting :-) Some "purists" whine
and cry about top posting like it's worse than a zombie apocalypse. Some
people only top post since their mail reader default is set to that. Some
people, usually not on a phone, will do inline posts.

Whatever floats the posting-boat is fine with me as long as I'm not getting
dinged about "fred's post is too large. Approve?", cause I'm kind of busy
yet still want the posts to be timely. ALE gets 300-500 garbage posts each
day. Thankfully, <ctrl>-f lets me quickly dig out the little tiny ham
nuggets for these events but I'd feel bad if I missed one and blew away the
crap-queue.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.