[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:53:59 EDT 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:53:27 -0400
> From: "Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon
>         account

> Hi Greg,
>
> I am potentially very interested in the plans by straighttalk.com(Walmart).  Since you mentioned it, I went to Walmart and talked to the guy
> in electronics.  He was very helpful.  They do have phones on Verizon.  You
> have to look for cdma-v on the package.  He said the technology is the same
> as verizon but all the customer service goes through straighttalk and
> sometimes that is sub par.  I might be willing to risk it though.  I could
> get a 3.5" android 4 phone with unlimited everything for me for $ 45 / mo.
>  He said it's really unlimited.  No tethering is allowed, and if they think
> you're abusing it, they can throttle your data or cut you off.  But, I
> wouldn't abuse it if that's the agreement I signed.  I can also get a dumb
> phone for my wife, which is all she wants, with 1000 minutes (currently
> have 750 shared) and 250 text messages, for $ 30 / mo.  So, for the same
> price, I get a smart phone with unlimited data and she gets more talk time
> and and text messages.  Sounds pr!
>  etty cool.
>
> Do you or anyone here have experience with straighttalk?  Verizon does
> have reasonable and accessible customer service, unless something goes
> badly wrong.  I suspect that if I port my number over to straighttalk, that
> it would be hard to get it back to verizon, but I could be wrong.  I also
> suspect I'd lose my family share plan forever.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

 Ron,

I can't comment on how well ST on Verizon network works, but I switched
from Sprint's sub par cell network over to ST running on the AT&T network
using the BYOD sims that they used to sell (they only sell T-Mobile ones
now). I've been very happy with them. I can advise though that they can and
will throttle your data if you use more than about 2GB a month, My
Girlfriend ran over last month and got throttled.

I normally only use about 1GB to 1.5GB a month so I've never got throttled.

Van