[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon account

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Jul 15 14:20:58 EDT 2013

inline

Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

>I have historically agreed on your view that Verizon has the best
>coverage in the sticks.
>
>However, we are now several months into a comparison of Verizon and
>Ting
>(Sprint).   When we are traveling in the motorhome, we use my Verizon
>phone for WIFI,  (for three notebooks, one tablet, and her phone)  and
>my wife's Ting (Sprint) phone for voice.    We have one Wilson Sleek
>cell repeater/amplifier with the little mag mount antenna.
>
>We have found this to be an excellent comparison of actual coverage
>between carriers.
>
>        http://www.rootmetrics.com/check-coverage/

That's a cool site.  I played with it for a while.  If I had a smart phone, I'd probably load their app.  I looked at Jasper GA and the area south of Wooster OH that I'm interested in.  Verizon is pretty much the only game in town in those areas.

>Thus far, we have yet to find somewhere that the Ting phone doesn't
>work
>for voice and the Verizon phone does.  Note that if you read the fine
>print, Ting, being CDMA, will roam on the Verizon network for voice.

I find that fascinating.  What does ting charge if you're roaming?  I wonder if my old verizon phones will work.  What if you're roaming most of the time?

Regarding compatibility between carriers, etc., and the current business environment; if it had been this way in 1900, I think we'd have to buy 47 different adapters just to plug a lamp into a wall outlet.

I think we should have mandatory compatibility regulations.